The federal government has turned over evidence from the shooting death of Renee Good by ICE agent Jonathan Ross to a magistrate judge in U.S. District Court for Minnesota, according to an attorney involved in a case tangential to Ross.

Eric Newmark said that the federal government informed him it had turned over a digital drive with the evidence to comply with an order issued by Judge Jeffrey Bryan. The deadline to turn over the evidence was May 1.

Newmark represents Roberto Carlos Muñoz-Guatemala, who was convicted of assaulting Ross last year in a traffic incident in Bloomington. Newmark has not seen the evidence and said he remains skeptical of whether the government will provide everything that was ordered , or stay with its public stance that it is not investigating Ross for the killing of Good.

Last week, a spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security said Ross “acted according to his training and in a manner that ensured his own safety and that of his fellow officers and bystanders” when Good was killed. That statement came in response to a question of whether Ross has returned to work as a federal agent in a different state.

This is the first known instance of the federal government supplying its own investigative evidence to the courts from any of the three shootings that took place in Minnesota during Operation Metro Surge.

Last month, Bryan ordered the U.S. Attorney’s Office for Minnesota, the Justice Department, the Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to turn over a wide swath of evidence from Good’s killing so that the court could review it for relevancy ahead of sentencing.

The order stemmed from the case against Muñoz-Guatemala.

The judge ordered the following evidence turned over:

• Any photos, videos or audio recordings taken by federal agents from 30 minutes before to 60 minutes after Good’s shooting, including body cameras and cameras on federal vehicles.

• Any statements made by Ross within 60 minutes prior to and during Good’s shooting.

• Any statements made by Ross from Jan. 7 to May 1 related to the investigation into Good’s shooting, the shooting itself, or comments about Good or her family.

• Any statement made from Jan. 7 to May 1 by any federal officer or federal employee who witnessed or was involved with the Good shooting.

• Any statement made by any witness to that shooting.

• Copies of reports of any data taken from Ross’ cellphone on Jan. 7.

• Ross’ complete training and personnel files.

• Department of Homeland Security and ICE training and policies for use-of-force and officer-involved shootings from June 17, 2025, to Jan. 7, 2026.

• Copies of Ross’ medical examinations and lab results related to the shooting.

• Any evaluations and medical examinations determining Ross’ fitness to return to duty from Jan. 7 to May 1, including mental health evaluations.

A message was left with the Department of Homeland Security seeking details of the evidence turned over to the court.

Several entities have been seeking evidence from the federal government related to the shooting deaths of Good and Alex Pretti and the shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis, which all took place in January in Minneapolis during the height of the largest-ever federal immigration enforcement operation.

In a motion filed in April, Rebecca Good, Renee Good’s widow, asked a court to order the federal government to hand over the SUV her spouse was driving when she was fatally shot on Portland Avenue.

Rebecca Good argued that the U.S. government’s refusal to turn over the Honda Pilot inhibits her pursuit of a probe into the shooting as well as the state of Minnesota’s own investigation.

A lawyer for the Good family, Kevin Riach, filed the motion and said it is “unreasonable for the government to at once decline to investigate” Ross while preventing Minnesota officials and Rebecca Good from accessing the vehicle.

The state of Minnesota, through Attorney General Keith Ellison, Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty and Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Superintendent Drew Evans, sued the Trump administration in March over the actions of federal agents during Operation Metro Surge.

The suit accused the top law enforcement agencies in the United States of withholding evidence from the killings of Good and Alex Pretti and the shooting of Sosa-Celis to protect agents from potential criminal charges.

The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension was blocked by the federal government from investigations into those shootings.

The BCA said last week that it still has not officially been given the names of the agent who shot Good, the agents who shot Pretti and the agent who shot Sosa-Celis.

Last week, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul sent a letter to White House border czar Tom Homan demanding to know if Ross was working as a federal agent in her state. She criticized the government over reports that Ross returned to work just days after Good was killed and without any federal use-offorce review.

On Tuesday, Homan was asked by CBS News if ICE and U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents involved in the killings of Good and Pretti should face consequences if they committed wrongdoing.

“If they violated the law, they’ve got to be held responsible,” Homan said. “When they violate policy, you’ve got to be held responsible.”

jeff.day@startribune.com sarah.nelson@startribune.com